Well it's been awhile. Sorry about that. Thanks to those of you who checked in with me personally (as you are wont to do when I am absent for too long.) Reminds me that we are deeply loved. This past couple of months we've had several highs and lows...
Most recently we've had to say our goodbyes (for now) to Nonna, Sharon, my stepmom. Link to her obituary.
Her memorial service was last week. I really like it when the service is a Celebration of Life and that is exactly what this service was. Sure we were all sad at our great loss, but I had a friend remark to me that it was the sweetest service they'd ever been to. Sharon was an amazing mom, grandma, and great-grandma, friend, wife and sister. We will definitely miss her. She was a helper. And though my kids did not know her well, we all walked away from her service determined to leave a legacy of love and concern for others just as she has done.
The night before the funeral, we captured some amazing family photos. Everyone looked really sharp. Even more so on funeral day, though we were not snapping pics that day.
![]() |
| Cousins |
![]() |
| Cousins and Grandpa Cook aka Doodad aka Papa Grande aka Big Pop |
![]() |
| me and my brothers |
When he got home that night, we had a small party, complete with cupcakes (sans frosting, just the way he likes them) and gifts. He's been saving up his money for an iPad. So rather than carrying a variety of sketchbooks from room to room in the house, you'll now find him with a stylus and his iPad. About a week before his birthday, he found out that he'd been accepted to his dream school in Nashville. We are still working on the details, but he really wants to finish up his degree at Lipscomb University. They have a prestigious group of professors in the animation program and he is honored to be considered. They already offered him a scholarship solely based on his grades. But the financial end of things is still a bit complicated for us. We are praying big bold prayers about this. Perhaps more on that in a subsequent post.
When I was down in the basement at my dad's house that week, I found a photo we took on or right after Keaton's actual birth date as well. He is hooked up to a variety of leads, monitoring his heart and oxygen levels, with an IV for fluids as well. Quite a traumatic birth - he was in NICU for 10 days - but he has grown strong, tall, and is a very talented graphic artist.
He is really diligent with his homework - I found this on his desk (a discarded, incomplete version of a homework project). It is a visual resume. Very cool, I thought.
Also in February, I got notice from the Texas State Board of Public Accountancy that I must cease using the name of my business because it implies that I am an accountant. Well, yes, um, I am an accountant. I've been doing accounting work for 30 years. And I have a master's degree in accountancy. BUUUUuuuuut, the state of Texas has a law that says I cannot call myself an accountant unless I am a Certified Public Accountant. I am not that. Don't want to be that. And never purported to be that. So for a few days there I was spun up and completely thrown off guard by this. I talked to the Board, I talked to a lawyer, and then I talked to one of my clients, whom I've known for 20+ years. He promptly talked me off the ledge and built me a new website that does not use the word accountant anywhere. He did this through texts with me, all while I was taking a walk through my neighborhood trying to shake off my stress. (Thank you Bill.) I amended my name at the state and federal level, and redirected my old website to the new one: lnbizservices.com And I think I'm able to move forward now. It's been kind of a whirlwind of emotions. I was feeling sucker-punched by a government agency telling me I cannot call myself an accountant. My identity questioned!! And then the lawyer told me that fixing the mess I've made "will be like untangling Christmas lights". An error of massive proportion!!
My client Bill told me, "Lis- you are feeling so horrible about this because you rarely make mistakes. And you rarely make mistakes because you are always very careful and conservative in how you approach life. That's all this is. A mistake. On a scale from one to ten, this is like a two." And then he artfully said, "Do you want me to give you ideas on how to fix it? Or do you just want me to listen?" Very grateful for friends and family who come alongside me in moments of crisis (even if it was only a 2...on a scale of 1-10.) Sigh.
| Keaton's car was covered |
| birds enjoying the frozen pool surface |
| Mourning doves huddling in the trees, braving the cold. We did find one on the neighbor's roof line - frozen to death. Actually found several birds frozen in the yard. Kind of sad.... |
One more significant coming of age detail. Cole has been researching guns for awhile now. Finally, he and Chris went to a gun show in January. So I know there are some who are actively FREAKING out right now. I was initially in your camp. AND I also know there are some of you who are thinking, yep, sounds like Texas. Keep in mind we discussed this decision ad nauseum. He now legally owns a handgun that he bought from a private party. Cole and Chris have been to safety training and go to the gun range together as a hobby. There is a gun safe in our house and Cole is very diligent with all of this. I'm actually very proud of him in how he has shown responsibility with this privilege. He knows how to take the gun apart and reassemble it.
Speaking of responsibility, Cole also took apart the leaking faucet in their bathroom and replaced it with a new faucet. He is actually very handy around the house.
Okay, almost done. We need to back up a few more weeks and show you some photos from Christmas. At our house, we were visited by Gandalf who delivered presents for the boys. It is actually their friend Chris...amazing costume! I made some cookies, with gluten and without. And I almost finished the boys' patchwork quilts before Christmas that I began circa 2010. (Almost, not quite.) On Christmas Eve, we drove south to spend time with the Shooks. As per usual, gingerbread houses, food, fun, and Christmas Eve services. Plus time at my brother's house on Christmas Day. This...is our traditional Christmas.












Yay, I actually got through both of your posts in one sitting. I loved your pictures from the snow and even your story of the birds. Loved your Christmas pictures with the shocks. Your boys are definitely young men now and my how they have grown in stature and wisdom. What a blessing from God!
ReplyDeleteIt's great seeing Eric in the photo. Everyone looks so happy.
ReplyDelete