Monday, November 25, 2013

Love First



Today a boy sat down at the computers in the library next to Keaton. Something was vaguely familiar about him. And I could tell he had autism. But not until his caregiver entered the children's section did I realize who the boy was. It was Will.

I immediately spoke to his grandmother and said, "I'm Lisa Neufeld, Eric's wife." She hugged me and said, "I am so sorry. I think about you a lot. I have never been able to tell Will about Eric. He has pictures of him and Eric all over his bedroom wall. I was at the service." She went on to explain (though I already knew) that she brought Will to Eric's barber shop no less than 8 times before Will allowed Eric to cut his hair. See Eric knew from experience with autism, that he needed to have a relationship first. Gain Will's trust. I asked Will's grandmother who was cutting Will's hair now. She said he was going to a regular hairdresser now. Thanks to Eric, he is okay with someone touching his head now.

I gave her my business card. She knows my Keaton is on the autism spectrum too. She teared up as we parted. I mentioned the encounter later to some friends. And how I want to live a life like that. Eric just touched so many lives. I have learned so much from Eric's example. One friend expressed it best: "Yes. Love First."

That's it exactly. Love First.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts