Wednesday, October 7, 2015

3 days to go...

This season in our small group Bible study, the ladies and I are studying Daniel.  We are utilizing Beth Moore study materials and wow(!) what a poignant book for the times we are living in. "Lives of Integrity - Words of Prophecy".


This week we are focusing on Chapter 4 of Daniel.  This is the chapter where Nebuchadnezzar learns the lesson that "pride cometh before a fall".  What Beth Moore stressed in the lesson video was this is a lesson we'd better try to learn in the the classroom, rather than having to learn it like Neb did.  Oh, that it were that easy....  Neb has a dream (a warning, which Daniel interprets) that if he doesn't start realizing others that are less fortunate need his help, he will end up in a bad spot.  He still glories in himself and ends up living like a cow for 7 years.  Seriously, eating grass.  He totally learned his lesson, though, the hard way.  I think most of us do it the hard way.

Pride is such a subtle sin.  Slowly creeps in.  The homework for our study this week talks about "our testimonies" becoming more about US and less about how GOD worked IN US.  Having just presented my testimony to a group of women a couple of weeks ago, I pray that others can see my testimony is not me working in my own strength.  It is totally God.  I could not do one day without Him.  Unfortunately, I have had many life lessons in pride and self-reliance and how that just does not work.  I recall one of my professional mentors angrily screaming at the 27-yr-old me, "Lisa, you are so haughty!"  Totally took me by surprise.  But she was so right....God has shown me this over and over in the years since.  (I not only deal with pride, but a stubborn pride.)  Like Jeremiah the prophet says and Paul reiterates in I Cor 1:31: "Let the one who boasts, boast in the Lord" and in His righteousness.  As strong as Paul was in the faith, he still tells us in 2 Cor 12:9 that Christ told him: "My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness."  Today, I pray for humility.  And thank Him for His grace.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts