We have wi-fi connection on our front porch. I know, unreal, right? Anyway, this is why I sit here to write this post. I am now on the bench you see on our porch. Our cottage is called "Casa Rosa". I have 2 roommates: Katie and Candice. There are 3 separate beds and a private bath in our cottage. Wonderfully unexpected to have a private bath with hot running water!
Last night our roles were decided. We have 13 people on our team:
2 docs
3 nurses
1 EMT
1 EMT in training
1 Physical Therapist
5 non-medical people like me
Roles were easily defined. The doctors will see patients (we are also expecting 2 additional Guatemalan doctors to join us.) We need at least 2 nurses in the Pharmacy to dispense medication and explain dosage. We need 3 in triage to assess patients before they see doctors. The PT is a floater because she is also a trip leader and needs to be making sure all is running smoothly at every station. That leaves 2 non-medical people for children's area, and 3 non-medical people in the distribution of personal hygiene items, eye exams and lab. Since I am the most "experienced" in this area, (experienced, meaning I have been on the trip before) I am put in charge of the lab. (Gulp...)
What this means is I am to oversee urinalysis testing and blood glucose testing. Plus explain how to do eye exams too. Lord, with your help, we can do this! I am not confident by any stretch of the imagination! For sure you are pushing the limits of my comfort zone! But having watched others do this last year, I am hoping I can manage. This is a highly interactive position, with patients who are often a bit scared of being pricked in the finger, enough to draw blood, by a complete stranger. May my smile ease their fears. May my hands be swift and accurate. May one prick be all that is needed with each patient. May the communication barriers be overcome.
One of our team leaders challenged us last night in our devotions and asked us to ask ourselves, "Why do we do what we do?" The Lord created us in His image and for His glory. We do all we do in order to please Him (and only Him.) So we choose to trust God, honor God, live by faith in Christ. May this day be all for your glory God. May someone be touched today by your presence in me, Lord.
No comments:
Post a Comment