In terms of food, I WAS eating out too much, having an occasional Blizzard from Dairy Queen (sooo many empty calories, but yes, I love that Salted Caramel Truffle...okay, yeah, stop talking about it, Lis-...temptation is brewing.) I made a new plan for this week. The plan seems to be the key for me. When I don't have a plan, I stand in front of the fridge and just scavenge. This leads to dissatisfaction and that leads to grabbing my car keys and heading out the door for a meal or dessert at a restaurant. ALL outside my own personal boundaries.
Today I made buffalo chicken wings in the oven for lunch. It's from p53 in Danielle Walker's Celebrations cookbook. I didn't make it exactly like she penned, because she is very paleo. And I am not that restrictive. Yes, I do happen to have ghee in my fridge, but for simplicity's sake, I just sprayed the chicken wings with olive oil before baking. ANYWAY, they were awesome! So tasty. And if you're a fan of cajun heat or any kind of spicy sensation for your tastebuds, my nose was running by the end of this meal. That's hot! No, my children did not partake. Haha! In case you're interested, I used Bolthouse yogurt-based blue cheese dressing for dipping.
Another circumstance that threw me off track a little was the start of our new school adventure. Overall, the change has been a 95% positive experience and I am pleased with the decision. But we have struggled a bit with our routine. My time in prep for homeschool has gone way down. However, my time supervising the boys as they do school work each day initially increased. Now I think we have a routine that works for all of us. Feels like significant progress to me, which always feels good!
And this Thursday, I pulled into the parking lot of the church where the school meets. The boys jumped out of the car, grabbed their lunches and backpacks, came to the driver's side to give me a hug and a kiss, said, "I love you Mom!" and off they scurried, on their way to class. For a split second, I sat there stunned, tears welling up. Dang.... This is what happens when moms take their kids to kindergarten! Eventually, I got out of my car and found a nook in the church building from which to do my work using the school's wi-fi. I worked for few hours. Left for lunch and ran some other errands. Came back and worked for another couple of hours. And then picked them up from class. They actually had a guest speaker that taught the kids how to write fables. This prompted a brief moment of meltdown for Cole, but the teacher's aide came looking for me and I gave her some tips on how to handle his issues with writing, and he was totally fine when I picked him up. He did not cry. He did not give up. So this, again, is progress.
The final piece of the puzzle here is exercise. I was blessed with an industrial strength treadmill about 2 months ago. But it's so wide, we could not fit it through any doors to the inside of the house. There is sat in the garage. It has been VERY cold, snowy even, in the last month. But this week, I went and plugged the thing in and started using it in the garage. It's still cold out there, but once I get going, about 10 minutes in I am taking off my outer layer of sweatshirt/jacket and just jogging in my short sleeves. So it works! And the boys have actually gone out and run on it too. When it gets warmer, I may walk outside again in the afternoons, but for rain and cold wind, I'm loving the treadmill.
Hebrews 12:1-3 "Therefore, since we are surrounded by so great a cloud of witnesses, let us also lay aside every weight, and sin which clings so closely, and let us run with endurance the race that is set before us, looking to Jesus, the founder and perfecter of our faith, who for the joy that was set before him endured the cross, despising the shame, and is seated at the right hand of the throne of God. Consider him who endured from sinners such hostility against himself, so that you may not grow weary or fainthearted.


No comments:
Post a Comment