Yesterday the sermon focused on suffering as Christ suffered. The pastor highlighted part of 1 Peter chapter 2 that speaks of how Jesus suffered (way more than we EVER have, by the way) but totally trusted His father's will in the matter, and relied on the Holy Spirit to comfort and get Him through. This is the kind of suffering we are called to. In other words, when we suffer (and we will, this is promised in Scripture), we can know that God is in it and that He has a plan. Trusting Him gives us the best chance to get through this with the proper measure of refining and pain. Our pastor also pointed out that sometimes the suffering is not necessarily about us, but about someone else altogether. I get that. But I sure feel affected by suffering in the last 5 years! I know I am not alone in this. Today is Eric's birthday. He would have been 53. I still think of him almost every day. That's not to say I weep and feel depressed every day. But the day-to-day without my friend, confidant, and co-parent is often lonely and hard. That is just how it is. And frankly, I am weary of it. Sooooo how do I combat this?
Here's where I want to communicate the rule of three and how it applies in my life.
The older I get, the more I realize the gift God gave us in these 3 things: worship, prayer, and His Word. Last week we had a worship night at church. Just praising, singing and reading of several Psalms. It was wonderful! Uplifting! I have this theory that the reason singing out loud feels so amazing or praying out loud or reading scripture out loud gives us that absolute sense of peace is because the devil can hear us. Now you might think, WHAT??!! She's talking about the devil!!??
Okay, yes. It's just a theory. I know that God is omniscient. But the devil isn't. Now I don't wanna give too much blog space to the Enemy, because he would love nothing more. But I do not believe he can read my thoughts. Only God can. So if I want to pray or sing in silence, God will still hear me. He knows me inside and out. On the contrary, while the devil can insert false thought patterns...he is a liar afterall...he does not hear my thoughts. So if I want to shake him off my trail, I need to praise OUT loud and I need to pray OUT loud and I need to quote scripture OUT loud. The demons hear Jesus' name and shutter. They know He (Jesus) has power. I have discussed this theology with a few different people. Seems like a logical conclusion to most. We are testing it out. I would love to hear an alternative point of view if you have one. For now, though, my omne trium perfectum is praising, praying, and reading the Bible. A daily dose of these 3 keeps me on track. Try it and let me know how it goes for you!1 Peter 2:21 - "To this you were called, because Christ suffered for you, leaving you an example, that you should follow in his steps."
I Thess 5:16-18 - "Rejoice always, pray without ceasing, give thanks in all circumstances; for this is the will of God in Christ Jesus for you."


No comments:
Post a Comment