I recently read two very different books. The first was Michelle Obama's autobiography "Becoming". She is a great writer! It was long. And it was challenging. I actually had to look up some words in the dictionary. Seriously. She wrote about her childhood in Chicago, college at Princeton, law school at Harvard, meeting Barak (he was an intern while she was a lawyer at a firm in Chicago), and then the political run all the way through the eight years in the White House. Obama did a great job of explaining her love for her family and how she was always concerned about her girls and them living a "normal" life. She was quick to point out when her motives were misinterpreted by the media. She was quick to criticize political opponents. She was quick to praise her husband. All what I would expect. I think she is smart and witty and it seemed like an accurate description from her point of view. Still, I just kept thinking, "I need to finish this book already!" (Not, "I can't wait to hear the rest of her story....") Maybe it's because I don't agree with her on things like gay marriage and abortion rights. But I think it's also because she tended to downplay the role faith played in her life. They did, at one time, attend church. But then they didn't. They do pray. I just didn't get the sense they felt the success they have was at all attributable to God's grace. More like it was all due solely to their hard work. I don't want to be judgmental. They are still married after all of the stress of a stint in the White House. Politics is a crazy life.
Another great book I started, but couldn't finish before my 21-day library loan was over, is "Bread & Wine" by Shauna Niequist. When I finish my Tax Class, I will definitely check this one out again and finish it. She talks about hospitality and the simplicity of just getting together with people. Investing in friendships. Doing it over food. Jesus shared lots of bread and wine with people. And then there is the symbolism of His body being the bread and His blood, the wine. I guess with this book, I heard her speak of a life spent in service to Jesus, and how relationships are vital. (Different from Obama's book.) Niequist tells many short stories of sharing life and food with her friends, through ups and downs of life, and then at the end of most chapters is a recipe. So I will definitely finish this. AFTER the Tax Class. More on hospitality in future months as well. AFTER the Tax Class.
One more thing about COVID-19 -- it's interesting how lonely the forced "social distancing" can be. Normally, I am quite the introvert. But in the middle of this current crisis, I find it difficult to fathom NOT spending time with other people. Now that our government is suggesting we should not be within 6 feet of each other nor congregate with more than 10 people at a time, the forced isolation is making me a little rebellious. The weather was so amazingly beautiful today, we took the dog for a walk to the beach (yes, we were careful to stay 6 feet away from others.) I realize there are safety and health concerns. But I also know we are not given a spirit of fear. Plus-- Satan would love nothing more than to see us isolated and fearful. Be at peace, reach out to neighbors and friends. Do not let Satan win this little battle of COVID-19 hysteria.
2 Timothy 1:6-7 "Therefore I remind you to stir up the gift of God which is in you through the laying on of my hands. For God has not given us a spirit of fear, but of power and of love and of a sound mind."
One more thing about COVID-19 -- it's interesting how lonely the forced "social distancing" can be. Normally, I am quite the introvert. But in the middle of this current crisis, I find it difficult to fathom NOT spending time with other people. Now that our government is suggesting we should not be within 6 feet of each other nor congregate with more than 10 people at a time, the forced isolation is making me a little rebellious. The weather was so amazingly beautiful today, we took the dog for a walk to the beach (yes, we were careful to stay 6 feet away from others.) I realize there are safety and health concerns. But I also know we are not given a spirit of fear. Plus-- Satan would love nothing more than to see us isolated and fearful. Be at peace, reach out to neighbors and friends. Do not let Satan win this little battle of COVID-19 hysteria.
2 Timothy 1:6-7 "Therefore I remind you to stir up the gift of God which is in you through the laying on of my hands. For God has not given us a spirit of fear, but of power and of love and of a sound mind."


No comments:
Post a Comment