Friday, July 17, 2020

Crab Fest


The beady little eyes should have been a clue...

So I grew up in West Texas. The closest thing to fresh seafood were piles of Gulf Coast shrimp on my grandparents' kitchen table (850 miles and 13 hours away in Louisiana...umm, not close.) So when a new client stopped by to pick up his laptop and offered me some fresh crab, I gladly accepted. Though I wasn't quite sure what to do with them. 


Honestly, I thought they were already dead. I mean look at them in this bowl! They aren't moving at all. And I left them in the kitchen, hung out in my office with the client for the next 30-45 minutes. After he left, I wandered back to the kitchen and started gathering research (texting friends and googling) on how to cook these creatures.


Settled on steaming them, I put together a deep pot with some salt water in the bottom. Began heating up the water. Dropped the crabs in and put on the lid. As the claws began to move I SCREAMED! Cole was laughing at me, telling me to calm down. Gaining my composure, I made sure the lid was on tight and took a video as I explained the whole scenario to my brother in Texas.  SEE VIDEO

While I have lived in the Northwest for 20 years, I HAVE actually been crabbing before, pulling traps out of the water, measuring the catch, throwing back the ones that are too small. I have even had the pleasure of eating fresh crab. But I HAVE NEVER had to cook them myself. It never occurred to me that I was boiling them...to death. Sorry Crabby.

Here they are, all done. I have cracked them open before. That was not an issue. Although, admittedly, it better be fresh crab, because the reward for your labor is not really a lot of meat. This crab was fresh. And tasted wonderful, straight up, no butter. I texted many thanks to my new client.

He was thankful to me for cleaning up his QuickBooks. But then he said this, "...I appreciate working with a Christian. I tend to be quiet about my faith, but it makes a big difference..." I was thinking, what? What did I say? How did he know? And then, the realization that in my office there is evidence everywhere. We never talked about it, per se, but he knew. And that means God was glorified. Yesssss!!!

Colossians 3:17 "Let every detail in your lives—words, actions, whatever—be done in the name of the Master, Jesus, thanking God the Father every step of the way.? (MSG)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts