I guess I'm trying to change my focus. From lonely. From down. To eternity. To hope. I have to admit, this is a constant course correction for me. It should be no surprise that I am not always "UP".... When I am shocked and appalled by what is in the current news cycle, or frustrated at my discontentedness in my circumstances, turning my heart and my eyes toward Jesus can be a fantastic cure. "Peace I leave with you; My peace I give to you; not as the world gives do I give to you. Do not let your heart be troubled, nor let it be fearful." (John 14:27)
That said, this week has been amazing in my daily walk. The Lord has blessed me so much!
I have a shelf (and nightstand) full of great devotional studies and material to choose from. This past weekend I was drawn to a book on David by Beth Moore. It is a 90-day devotional guide. The book is so beautiful, I couldn't bear to write in the actual book. So I grabbed a blank journal and started writing thoughts and verses and notes in my journal instead. Each day has a passage of scripture from the life of David, starting back from Hannah giving birth to Samuel, who anointed David as the new king (when he was just a young shepherd.) The scripture says that David was "a man after God's own heart" and this devotional guide points back to the tender musician and strong warrior that David was. I am so excited to delve into this, I'm actually doing 2 days on some days. I truly yearn to know this heart of God...
Then on Tuesday, I spent some time in prayer with ladies at my church over the Women's Ministry. Not that I am a big time public prayer girl; I am actually very SHY. But when we were sitting there, scripture was flooding my mind and heart and I felt free to share my thoughts and prayers with the Lord and with the group. "For where 2 or 3 are gathered together in My name, I am there in their midst." (Matt 18:20) P R A Y! It is so powerful!
Along those lines, one of the gals in the prayer session had a book that I thought looked interesting. So I ordered and started reading it last night. Oh WOW! "The Prayer that Changes Everything" by Stormie Omartian is about praising God. (That is the prayer that changes everything...) I believe this with all my heart. Praise and worship has changed my spiritual life in the last 3 years. Here is an excerpt from the intro chapter that is just so inspiring to me:
"You know how it is when you fall in love. That special person occupies your every thought, and it's hard to focus on other things. You experience a constant wellspring of joy bubbling up from within you that seems as if it could never run dry. You long for that person when you're not with them, and you can't wait to be in their presence again. Being near them takes your breath away. You love them so much it sometimes makes your heart hurt. You delight in all you see in them, and you seek to know everything there is to know about them. You want to wrap your arms around them as tightly as you can and never let go. You want your souls to intertwine until you can no longer tell where that person ends and you begin. And every time you embrace, new strength and fulfillment flow into your being. Your feel as though you have finally connected to someone at a depth you always dreamed about. You complete each other. Your heart has found a home. The world is wonderful. And all is good.
It's a glorious way to feel.
This is also the way God wants us to feel about Him.
All the time.....
....Praise is the prayer that changes everything."
This book sounds like it is going to be soooo good. (Can you tell I am a little giddy about it?) haha! Plus I met with our new worship director this week just to touch base. She is very excited about getting started in her new role. I get to sing with her for the first time this weekend. May the Holy Spirit's presence be pouring out all over the place.


I find that if I can just keep my eyes fixed on Jesus... I can't help but be up:-).
ReplyDeleteHope you having a great summer! Tell the boys I said "hi".