Last night around 9pm, the boys piled onto my bed for a chat, as they so often do. Some parents tuck their kids into bed. My kids tuck me in. Usually they request a story about when I was a kid. Or when they were babies. But this night Cole began with a question: "Mom, which of your parents did you love best?"
Ahhh. Feels like a trick question. This is when I start praying for wisdom...
Me: "Well, I loved both my parents in different ways. But my mom did some things that broke up our family and caused a divorce that was really hard for me to understand."
Keaton: "I thought your parents were separated at death."
Me: "No. My parents had been divorced a few years before my mom died. So at some point I came to appreciate my dad a bit more. But I still loved my mom."
Cole, as he snuggles a little closer to me: "Oh, so you know exactly how I feel."
Slam! My heart.
Keaton: "Cole! Don't say you like Dad better than Mom!"
Cole: "I'm sorry. I love you Mom. But Dad took us to work with him and he was so fun."
Me: "Ha! You get to be with me everyday while I'm working!"
Cole: "But your work is so BOOOOORing!"
Me: "Yea. I know Dad was fun. That's why I miss him too. I get it."
Cole: "Why didn't you die? And he stay?"
Me: "I ask that question myself a lot. I don't understand it all. But God has this great big plan. And evidently He wanted ME here to take care of you. I can tell you right now if it was Dad here, you would probably be in in public school. (Collective gasps from wide-eyed boys! I promise I have not described public school as scary, EVER. I mean I WENT to public school! It's what they read and see on TV....) There's no way he could homeschool you and still be a barber."
What's going on in the boys' heads, processing, grief, so often mimics what goes on in mine. Yes, still. Sunday morning a sweet friend hugged my waist and with tears in her eyes, said, "I've been praying for you lately. I know it's been a couple of years since Eric's been gone, but we haven't forgotten. You are not forgotten. We love you!" Thank you! Because I feel like I'm the only one stuck some days.
I'm reminded of a song on the radio: "I know you're good. But this don't feel good right now. I know you think of things I could never think about...." Not my will, but yours be done Lord.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Lest you think we ended on a downer...nope! We had a big group hug with Cole in the middle, and I said it was a Cole-sandwich. Keaton said:
COLE is C-heese
YOU are L-ettuce
I am K-etchup
Then we all joined in the fun.
What is Lucy? (the dog) L-emons. Yea. Lemons.
Eric would be? E-ggplant? (uproarious laughter!)
Aldan would be? An A-rtichoke? (more raucous guffaws!)
Julia could be? J-elly. Yes! (hilarious fun!)
So they headed to bed laughing about our big family sandwich, still giggling about Aldan the artichoke and Eric the eggplant. God is good.
Luke 2:41-43: And He (Jesus) withdrew from them about a stone's throw, and He knelt down and began to pray, saying, "Father, if You are willing, remove this cup from Me; yet not My will, but Yours be done." Now an angel from heaven appeared to Him, strengthening Him.


No comments:
Post a Comment