Tuesday, August 4, 2020

Be a Barnabas

While churches around our area are starting to open up again (with varying level of restrictions) we can find many opportunities to "BE THE CHURCH" outside of a building. Over the weekend I listened online to a pastor friend of mine in Texas. CLICK HERE for his message. He reminded me that we should be gathering as the church because the Bible tells us this is important for lifting each other up. So even if our government is telling us it is not safe, we need to lean into the hope we have and trust in God's plan for His people. It was a great message that encouraged me to be an encourager. The book of Acts describes a trusted friend of Paul's named Barnabas, which means "The Son of Encouragement". I very much desire to be a Barnabas in my little part of the world.

I spent some time last week with a friend who is somewhat home bound due to chronic illness. She was thrilled to have a visitor as COVID has frightened a lot of people away from in-person meetings. We discussed all number of topics and I was completely renewed and recharged with this visit. What I realized is that by seeking to encourage her, I was so very encouraged myself! And the feeling was mutual. Being away from the church building has opened many opportunities for my friend and her husband to be the church at a local park. They typically visit this park once a day to get some exercise, but have found it is the perfect location to exercise their gifts of evangelism. What a testimony!

This past weekend we did a little work project with our Love Your Neighbor crew. A small group put together a wall for a single mom who loves to care for foster kids. Teamwork, creative-thinking, love and sweat equity all came together for a successful project.
The ladies pound some nails....


Cole is all about the snacks

Hammering over your head is not as easy as it looks. I was definitely sore the next day.

Keaton and Cole reminded me of the projects they helped Mr. Mark with over at the cabin earlier this summer. They enjoy construction jobs...but after a few hours their enthusiasm waned. We left and I went home to work on monthly client billings, but the rest of the team finished building the wall.  YES!!! Amazing job guys!!!

We have learned time and again how great it feels to serve with a team to help others. 

Hebrews 10:23-25 "Let us hold unswervingly to the hope we profess, for he who promised is faithful. And let us consider how we may spur one another on toward love and good deeds not giving up meeting together, as some are in the habit of doing, but encouraging one another -- and all the more as you see the Day approaching."

1 comment:

  1. I’m glad of your desire to be a “Barney”, there is too much discouragement in our world and encouragers will never run out of opportunities to be just like Jesus (and Barnabas).
    Love Your Neighbor (LYN) is such a fun and essential opportunity. Just like encouragement, we will never run out of those in need of practical helps. And just like your example of encouragement and being encouraged, LYN does the same. We gather to help and in the end all participants and recipients are encouraged. Thank you for sharing Lisa. I appreciate how you craft your words and pictures to convey your excitement - it’s contagious 😊☝️

    ReplyDelete

Popular Posts