Thursday, December 28, 2023

Before We Close

Before we close out the year I just wanted to share a few highlights from the holidays and my recent trip back to Washington. Also, I want to share that there's been a shift in my thinking -- so many clients and friends have asked me lately, "How is Texas"? In all honesty, even though I'm back in my hometown, I feel displaced somehow. Like after 20+ years in Washington and the fact I buried my husband there, our little island which was just a ferry ride away from Canada, feels more like home. In a lot of ways, we feel like visitors here in Texas. I've talked to other transplants from Washington who miss the scenery and their church and friends just like we do. Several folks mentioned that it takes about 3 years to feel like a new move is truly "home". So I've decided we need to keep working at this. In fact this last week, I met with a group of neighbors in an impromptu holiday gathering in my next door neighbor's driveway. I was able to meet several new people and learned more about others that I had previously met.

pens I gave away on my trip
That said, my recent trip to Washington state was amazing! I saw about 6 different clients and numerous friends throughout my 10 day trip. I was mostly working, but had a chance to spend weekend time at a Nutcracker ballet performance, visited our old church, ate great sushi and Thai food, and I'm pretty sure I gave/received more hugs in one stretch of 48 hours than all of last year. 



Also, this holiday season was even better than last year! Ethan again came to visit at Thanksgiving. He fixed the light in my closet, sorted out the lights on the pergola, washed windows and helped the boys clean up leaves. The 3 of them even cooked burgers on the grill one afternoon. I know the boys appreciated having their friend here for the week.




We also had family stop by for Thanksgiving dinner. 12 total including my dad, brothers, sisters-in-law and all of the kids.

my bros, me & Dad

cousins

For Christmas Eve we drove down south and had a lovely day with the Shooks. Just like old times! I love hearing my boys chatting with their friends and laughing, really laughing with glee. We built gingerbread houses, broke bread together, the girls went to the riverwalk, the guys played board games, we had scripture readings and all sang Christmas carols, ending with our candles lit, singing Silent Night.





Christmas Day was equally fun as we were able to spend time with Danson, Rachel and Dax. Somehow I missed getting many pictures from the day, but here is Cole learning to play darts under Dans' tutelage. We also played a lot of board games and basketball. Okay, I personally did not play board games (that detail is for Ellen, who absolutely LOVES board games, but knows it's not my favorite thing). And we didn't play basketball, but simply shot hoops. Danson smoked a delicious beef tenderloin and Rachel, her mom and her friend Steph cooked up other scrumptious sides and desserts. We also learned that Cole actually likes deviled eggs (look out Uncle Dusty....) 


Now - if you ask me about Texas - here's what I'll say: I absolutely LOVE the sunshine and wearing short sleeves in the winter. My overall mood is much brighter just being able to step outside, even if it's cold, and feel the sun on my skin. It is also wonderful to be around my dad, and my brothers and their families. We are all getting to know each other again and that has been amazing. 

When I was in Washington, I woke up early on Sunday morning, was drawn to read Psalm 103 and then pulled up on YouTube, a song by Matt Maher. CLICK HERE for the song. Then, like only God can do, both of these were also included as elements of the service I went to later that morning. The scripture Pastor Les read before communion was from Psalm 103 and the song from Matt Maher was the first one on the set list for the day. No coincidences. Feeling so blessed. Hope you and yours had a blessed holiday as well. See ya next year!

Psalm 103:22 Bless the Lord, all his works in all places of his dominion; bless the Lord, O my soul.

1 comment:

  1. Happy belated Christmas. May your next year be a blessing. I feel the same about our TX relocation. The sunshine & reliable blue skies are incredible, but seem temporary. So where will we set roots? Still waiting. We had Ian & clan here for Thanksgiving day, then we travelled to Cory’s in Alabama for Christmas celebration. What does 2024 hold for us? Time will tell. Always praying for you three. May your year bring greater eyes to see and ears to hear. Love y’all.

    ReplyDelete

Popular Posts