Well, thank goodness February has an extra day this year! Gives me a chance to post an update - - seems it's been 2 months since I last wrote in this space. Thanks to those friends and family who have reached out to double-check that we are still alive. haha! Yes. We are...
IN JANUARY : One sunny day we went for roughly a 2 mile trek on the open prairie north of town. It's home to another branch of Texas Tech museums (a free excursion if you're ever here visiting us) where they discovered wooly mammoth bones.
IN JANUARY: I read several books. Why Do I Do What I Don't Want To Do? by JP Pokluda was pretty good. I had not read anything from this author before. It was a quick read. Easy to understand. Included some scripture. Laid out well. In the first half of the book, he goes over some ancient vices (pride, anger, greed, apathy, lust) and presents a cure for each (humility, forgiveness, generosity, diligence, self-control). They're only ancient in the sense they have been around for all time. I struggle with many of these...both ancient and modern. In the second half he tackles more modern wars (perception management, entitlement, busyness, drunkenness, cynicism) and thankfully gives the remedy for these as well (authenticity, gratitude, rest, sobriety, optimism).
Started this book in December and finished in January. A Walk in the Woods: Rediscovering America on the Appalachian Trail by Bill Bryson. This one was also interesting! I had no idea that it takes so long to hike/backpack from Georgia to Maine. Mr. Bryson did not hike the entire trail in one trip. But he and a buddy hiked a lot of it. Humorously and (it seems) accurately describing the hike as sort of a how-to and how-not-to. Enjoyable read. I did not realize that when we were in Gatlinburg last May we were so close to a portion of the trail. We have done some day hikes, but nothing of this magnitude. Hats off to these trekkers!
Here's another book I completed in January. Fiction. Christian. Mystery/Suspense. What Happens Next by Christina Suzann Nelson. This story follows a popular podcaster as she heads back to her childhood summertime home (where her grandma used to live) to unravel the mystery of her childhood best friend's disappearance. I'm not sure where I got this recommendation. But it was a good read. I like mystery and it was clean. A sweet little romance, a-la-Hallmark, is also brewing on the side.
Final book in January. The Magic of Lemon Drop Pie by Rachel Linden. I actually know this author personally. I like her a lot. I'm not sure how I feel about this book. It's a little kitschy and has a few curse words. I mean it's not overwhelming with the curse words; I just wasn't expecting that from Rachel. The story is quaint and a little mystical. So if that's your thing, go for it.
How did I have time to read so much when my January was so busy?? Well, I have to get off the computer after so many hours or I lose my mind. That said, work-wise I got through January unscathed. It wasn't as bad as I thought it would be. I think that a couple of strategic new hires with clients who took over some of the work made it much easier for me to focus on year-end tax prep instead of the year-end AND the day-to-day. So yay!
IN FEBRUARY: Cole finished his Lego Osprey project. Very cool model of the half-helo, half-plane that he just created on his own. Not an official Lego item.
We did try to go outside each day...safe distance away from other humans. The resort had a huge chess set. I beat Cole, but not on purpose. My chess strategy is totally defensive. I didn't even realize I had put him in checkmate until he told me. Ahhh well.
Around the resort there were lots of stray kitties. (Above) Keaton is petting one that came around our condo every day. (Below) we spent a few minutes the afternoon of Keaton's birthday visiting a nearby scripture garden. The walkways are covered with verses that tell the Gospel story, culminating at the empty cross at the top of the hill. There's also the "rider on the white horse" from Revelation among other sculptures. If you're ever near Kerrville on I-10, this is something to see: https://thecomingkingfoundation.org/

















Way to go Keaton!!! How’s Cole doing/what’s he up to? Thanks for sharing and keeping those of us far away, up to date on y’all. Looking forward to the next update, albeit I’m expecting it to be after Tax season 😉 Give those two young men of yours a big hug from Jake! Blessings over you three and the months to come.
ReplyDelete