Sunday, August 24, 2025

What's Going on?

Well, it's been awhile. When people start texting me and asking what's going on, I know it is time to update the blog. haha! We are good, y'all. Very good.

This last week week we had visitors from Washington!! On his way back to school in Arkansas, Ethan drove through here and dropped off his mom and little sister. So we got to host them for several days. Lots(!!) of swimming, some frozen yogurt, a museum, a farmer's market, some games...we had a lot of fun! Come back next year, pretty please??





Keaton was literally in school all summer. He took a Sociology class and an Art Appreciation class online. Then he had an English 101 (writing) class and a Business Communications (speech) class. It was tough cramming all of that into one summer, but he did great. For his Bus Comm class he had to interview someone that works in his field. So he arranged with one of his professors from school to interview this guy who works for DreamWorks Pictures as an animator. I thought that was pretty cool. He's been drawing, of course. If you have Instagram, he is on there. 
kisoninsta_00
 is his handle, I think. Anyway, he starts his fall school session tomorrow. And this past week he got a new job! He is working as a dishwasher at Texas Roadhouse. Turns out the owner/operator of the franchise here is a childhood friend of one of my brothers. Keaton asked me if he got the job because of nepotism. (Well, maybe?) And then he commented that he probably got his last job because of nepotism too. (Yes, probably, because that owner was a friend of his other uncle.) But is it really nepotism? Or is it just networking? I told him my first 3 jobs were jobs my mother arranged for me to get. In fact, my first rental house was one my mother arranged. I think she was really ready for me to get out of the house! haha! I told him that he will eventually earn his own cred; he's already building his resume, and that at some point he will get jobs all on his own.

Cole is still working at the church 3 days/week. Actually this summer, he worked more days than that, as a team of 3 (including Cole) painted the sanctuary. He's learning a lot in terms of skills, but also endurance. Mowing all day, in the heat, can make for a lonnnnng day. In his spare time, he's been crafting a stormtrooper costume. The pieces and parts have been stacked around the living room and in the garage for months. The clutter does get kind of annoying at times, but I think he's getting close to completion. His goal was to finish before this weekend's Comic Con; however, that did not happen.




At one point this summer, Cole came to me rather distraught. "Mom, the Holy Spirit is really convicting me," he said. "We need to find a way to serve more." So I gave him the contact info for the missions minister at our church and told him that someone at church might know of a project he could help with. He went and talked to them and they hooked him up with an elderly lady that needed her lawn mowed, edged, and her hedges trimmed. So he went over and took care of that one Saturday morning. She was very blessed and so was Cole. I gotta say, this whole thing warmed my heart; I mean I'm bragging on Cole here, but I felt really proud of him, mostly because he seems to be growing into his own faith. Actually both of the guys are.

So that was August. What happened to July?? Let me backtrack a little.

We were separated for 4th of July. I was in Washington, they were home. I actually went to a parade (Elmo, beads, and flags were my souvenirs), and they shot off fireworks with Chris. 








I had a fabulous time seeing friends, clients, and the gorgeous scenery in WA and I feel like I need to make it an annual trek. 




In recent days, I've been spending some extra time in scripture and just being thankful for a great summer. Feeling very blessed. Got to spend time with family here in Texas, friends in Washington, and the boys are thriving and maturing. I've gotten into a good routine with work and a new contractor who is helping me in grow my business. Our preacher recently asked the question about how we spend the "other six days of the week". The ministers started a program called "bring your minister to work" day. And while I believe that would be a little awkward, as my office is located in the corner of my bedroom, it did get me to thinking about how I kinda have a little ministry with my clients. I'm praying for them throughout the week. Several are dealing with physical ailments, divorce, parenting issues; it's just your run-of-the-mill stuff. But I try to encourage and build up their confidence and they are grateful. One of my client's even sent me a gift of fresh seafood from Pike's Place Market! God is good. Jehovah Jireh. I can see how He provides, literally.



I'll leave you with one of the many beautiful scripture cards that has come to me over the summer thanks to my friend Steve. Was so glad to spend time with you and your wife this summer, Sir! I guess the gratefulness tour continues....

No comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts