Last weekend I was able to spend some time with clients in Sante Fe. It was a corporate retreat for them - celebrating 5 years in business. I was privileged to be invited! The 3 of us stayed at a nice Airbnb and did a lot of hiking, touristy window shopping, visiting missions and art galleries. Some days there were specific corporate agenda discussions, but mostly we just got to know one another on a deeper level. I have to say, 10-15 years ago I would have been completely intimidated by such a trip. With virtual strangers. Ladies I'd never met in person. Does that represent personal growth saying 'yes' to this trip? I think so.
![]() |
| Sunset Hike around Airbnb |
![]() |
| Morning "Breathing" Lesson |
The hike we did had me breathing pretty hard. Was trying to put the "breathing lesson" into practical use, but honestly, I have not hiked in so long I had to stop several times. They were so patient. Dr. Casey even tried to make me feel better saying she was breathing hard too. These gals are physical therapists and they are so strong and fit! I aspire to be like them. :)
![]() |
| I haven't hiked up past 7700ft in YEARS! |

We also got to see a lot of art. There is a Georgia O'Keefe museum in Sante Fe and lots of local art on display along the streets. We stopped in one parking lot and perused a small local art show. I actually bought one small piece of art and some notecards (prints of their art). It's fascinating to me that people can make a decent living doing what they love. My hope is that my creative kids can do the same.
![]() |
| Rio Grande Gorge bridge (reminds me of D-Pass) |
![]() |
| Dr. Dawn got us each a mini art set, this is my attempt at painting! |
![]() |
| Sunrise on the way driving home |
One reason I was glad to get away on this particular weekend is it was the anniversary of Eric's death. Or as Joanne Evans would say, "Eric's graduation to heaven." I try to get out of town and distract myself. It's been 12 years. And I don't dwell on it a lot day-to-day. But sometimes the actual date can hit me hard. Plus we've had some hard stuff happening with extended family related to sickness, cancer and death in the last month or so and I guess I've felt triggered in some ways. My 2nd cousin, 57, died after complications and a 3 month hospital stay. My aunt passed away after several years' long battle with illness. And now my stepmom has been diagnosed with cancer. Please pray for her comfort!
This Sante Fe business trip was a lot about future thinking, dreaming, vision-casting. One morning we did a visualization session where we were supposed to be walking down a path in our minds' eye. At the end of the path was a visual depiction of our future self in 10 years. I was trying to do this task and at the end of my path, I did not see me, I saw Eric. Not good. This really hit me hard. The vision just took me back to when we'd all go hiking and it was great to see him well and happy. But I was a bit of a wreck emotionally after that. In a time of sharing, my client started describing her vision and began tearing up. She said, "Now I'm embarrassed. I'm crying." I said, "Don't be embarrassed about crying; I've been sitting over here bawling myself!" (I explained what I had visualized.) Then the other gal started describing her future self and she was crying too, but happy tears; she was explaining her vision of her little family, homesteading, loving their life. It was all pretty cathartic. Now I can visualize my brothers rolling their eyes. haha! All of that brings me to this.
Yes, it's been 12 years. But I feel stronger and more emotionally capable than I have in a long time. The other theme on this trip was doors. I just couldn't stop taking pictures of the doors I saw. So intricate. So unique. Just kind of representative of the various paths that we can choose, and ways we can walk through life. I know that there are more great adventures to come. God just keeps unfolding more and more of His blessings year after year. Like even with these recent funerals, I found delight in catching up with family I hadn't seen in many years. Makes me more hopeful for heavenly reunions.























No comments:
Post a Comment