Sunday, January 29, 2017

2 Movies

This week I watched two movies.  One took me several nights to get through; it was on Amazon Prime. Keaton actually pointed me to it, as he saw it when he was scrolling through Amazon Prime and he knew I had read the book.

"Life Animated" ~ Trailer Below:




"Life Animated" is a follow up documentary to the book by the same name, which I read last year, by Ron Suskind.  (See my blogpost about that HERE.) The book describes the younger years of Suskind's son Owen who has autism.  He writes about their family and Owen's life up through about age 19.  The book made me very emotional just because autism is so close to my heart. Keaton is on the spectrum.  But after much therapy, Keaton's autism is barely noticeable.  The thing is, the autism spectrum is vast and broad.  Owen had TONS of therapy too.  His parents were supremely devoted to helping him.  And after watching the movie, which depicts Owen's challenges as a young adult (age 23) traversing the wiles of the world of life on his own, I feel a bit more confident in Keaton's ability to cope.  His future is bright and filled with great expectation.  I cried with Owen's parents and his older brother as they watched him struggle and then triumph over his disabilities.  Amazing stuff.  I know that God will provide what I need and what Keaton needs to make it through.


The second movie: "Hidden Figures" was at the theater this week.

"Hidden Figures" trailer below:




I don't know what was more enjoyable, the movie itself? Or the fact it was not animated and I enjoyed it in the company of another adult, sans children.  This movie tells the true story of three particular African-American women who worked for NASA during the early 1960s at the beginning of the space race.  I laughed, I cried, and I shook my head in dismay.  These ladies were smart!! And they were strong!! One was a widow with 3 little girls!! And they did not give up.  In life and love they appeared to succeed despite a lot of societal and cultural distractions.  And they all played an important role in helping to get John Glenn into space.  I have a no idea if the physics and math problems they depicted were true to life (I vaguely recall differential equations from high school calculus, but the rocket science math in this movie was WAY beyond me).  The technical parts of it aside, I really enjoyed this movie.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts